I have become increasingly aware that I may have had a teeny tiny part in motivating a few people to either start playing Guild Wars or to increase their Guild Wars game playing time. Occasionally, these people ask me questions, and I’m happy to answer because it helps them understand the game more. I also realise that I have probably picked up a few useful bits of information during my two years of playing that others will also find useful.
I enjoy the game a lot, but I’m not an expert at Guild Wars. I don’t hold volumes of intricate, nerdy Guild Wars knowledge in my brain. However, other people do and they have shared their knowledge with the world, so here are a few useful links:
- Guild Wars: PvE Beginner Tips
- A Guide to Parties — Party etiquette (how not to be a n00b)
- Guild Wars: PvP Beginner’s Guide
- GuildWiki — An invaluable resource for information, including Mission and Quest guides.
- Guild Wars Wiki — The official Guild Wars wiki. When you call up the in-game help menu, it links to the official wiki. The information here is less extensive and less detailed than GuildWiki, because it’s relatively new, but it’s getting better.
- PvXwiki — This is a wiki devoted solely to build combinations. There is a rating system in place so you can see what the community thinks about a particular build. Elite Skills are generally the lynch pin or defining characteristic of a build, and as far as I can tell, all of the builds on PvXwiki require an Elite Skill, so bear that in mind. If anything, this can serve as a shopping list of sorts.
- Guild Wars Elite Skills Listings with Maps — This will show you exactly where those Bosses lurk so that you can capture those coveted Elite Skills.
- Cartography Resources — If you look at the comments to this post, you will see that someone has linked to a number of sites that will help you unblur the map for that Cartographer title.
- How to Use the “-image” Function to Reduce Waiting Time Between Maps — As most people are aware, Guild Wars never ever has downtime for new content “patches” as is common in other online games. All game content is streamed to you in bits and pieces during game play. This content is downloaded between instances, usually causing a short delay (depending on your connection) if you have never been to that instance before. This resource shows you how to download all of this content at once, so the delay between maps is reduced significantly. After the initial use, which will usually take a long time, it’s best to use it at least once a week. The “-image” function is especially useful for those on dial-up connections.
- Guild Wars News RSS Feed — Put this link into your RSS reader to receive all of the latest Guild Wars news, including Skill balance changes, directly from ArenaNet.
There are a few tricks that are not immediately obvious to a new Guild Wars player. Some of the resources above assume that you have this knowledge, so it may be helpful for me to go over them here.